Alex's F80 M3

Alex-B

Administrator
Nothing much to say really other than I absolutely love it. Reminds me of the FD2 but is quicker, more comfortable and more toys.
This was a cancelled order, whoever specced it originally was a fool for not choosing the carbon interior trim so I got the dealer to agree to change it as it deleted the leather door handles as well. BMW in Germany don't have a couple of the parts atm so it'll be having those done as soon as they arrive.

Very nice indeed. :glassesbig: On my want list, but the running costs frighten me. lol

I'm so used to living with Honda expenses and 31mpg week in week out. :oops: lol

This is the new twin turbo inline 6 lump as found in the new M4 (which I nearly bought but needed 5 seats and the saloon has more aggressive wheel arches)
I'm averaging 24mpg atm which should go up after the running in service as i've been up and down the revs and gearbox. Some guys on the forum are getting 28/29mpg.
Tax is slightly cheaper than the FD2 as well at £265 per year.
Service pack for 5 years/50k miles is £1000 or if you're good at negotiating, get it thrown in for free ;-).

Alex-B said:

This is the new twin turbo inline 6 lump as found in the new M4 (which I nearly bought but needed 5 seats and the saloon has more aggressive wheel arches)
I'm averaging 24mpg atm which should go up after the running in service as i've been up and down the revs and gearbox. Some guys on the forum are getting 28/29mpg.
Tax is slightly cheaper than the FD2 as well at £265 per year.
Service pack for 5 years/50k miles is £1000 or if you're good at negotiating, get it thrown in for free ;-).

Crikey, that's not actually half bad is it. :-D

Very nice indeed Alex! :clap: Wish you all the best with it. I was seriously considering one of these as well but opted for a 4wd option instead, be interested to hear how you get on with it. Definitely on my list at some stage.

simon82 said:
Very nice indeed Alex! :clap: Wish you all the best with it. I was seriously considering one of these as well but opted for a 4wd option instead, be interested to hear how you get on with it. Definitely on my list at some stage.

Thanks Simon, what have you gone for? Have you kept the Exige?
I've had the running in service done this week so now have the full rev range to play with. Absolutely ballistic on a dry road. Bit lairy in the wet but what do you expect with summer tyres with this power output on a rwd car lol

Site said:
wait..an m3 with 20mpg+ thats actually pretty damn good!

I haven't reset the computer since i've had it and averaging 23.8 as of today which is very good imo. My 435i was averaging 30 and had over 100bhp less. Tax is very reasonable at £265 too which is another reason I didn't go for the M5.

Alex-B said:
Thanks Simon, what have you gone for? Have you kept the Exige?
I've had the running in service done this week so now have the full rev range to play with. Absolutely ballistic on a dry road. Bit lairy in the wet but what do you expect with summer tyres with this power output on a rwd car lol

Still got the Exige but not really an every day car so got myself an RS4, Still not run in yet but loving it so far i have to say. I'll try to get a post/pics up later on just not had the chance yet.

Alex-B said:
Site said:
wait..an m3 with 20mpg+ thats actually pretty damn good!

I haven't reset the computer since i've had it and averaging 23.8 as of today which is very good imo. My 435i was averaging 30 and had over 100bhp less. Tax is very reasonable at £265 too which is another reason I didn't go for the M5.

thats really good going...i kept looking at m3's and m5's etc and was horrified at the 10-15mpg stories...nearly 25 is almost at honda/fd2 mpg...

I drove a facelift (LCi) M5 before buying this and wasn't overly taken by it. The competition pack would be the one to have but none were available in my price range at the time. It didn't feel 560bhp fast and you could feel the weight in the corners. It did handle well for what is essentially a 2000kg car. Mpg/20" rubber to replace and road tax were the real nails in the coffin for me though.

I've seen 35-40mpg regularly on the momentary gauge under the dials on the motorway which is awesome imo. Still averaging 24mpg. Don't think that's bad at all as my 435i was averaging 30mpg.

I had my running in service last Thursday and now have the full rev range available which is :twisted:
I gave it a clean before taking it in as I wanted to get some wax on it ready for winter.

Finally had my carbon fibre trim and leather door handle inserts fitted this week which has lifted the interior massively from the 'blue shadow' plastic that was fitted.
Picked up some new (to me) wheels yesterday from a chap on the m3 forum. Wasted no time getting the tyres swapped over when I got back in the afternoon. Apologies for the terrible pics, will get better ones when it's had a bath :roll:

BBS CH-R's in satin black which have filled the arches out nicely. The rears sit about 20mm further out and the fronts about 10mm further out.

Thanks Arch :)

Waiting for Eibach springs to become available as not sure I need or can warrant the cost of KW V3 coilovers.

Back