Knocking noise from off side front

Overthemoon

My FD2 has developed a slight knocking noise from the off side front.
I have had it up the lift, checked all the nuts and bolts are tight on the lower arm, ball
joint, anti roll bar links and top strut mounts, engine mount on the o/s/f inner wing, but just cant find
the cause. It only does it when moving off, just like its taking up slack somewhere, and particually
when moving slowly over uneven ground. This is really starting to annoy & perplex.
Any one had similar problems or have any suggestions. The vehicle lift I am using even has play detectors
built in and I cant see any play anywhere.

Found the solution on the 8th Civic website its the bump stops on the o/s and n/s top suspension struts,
just need to find out now if I can get hold of the modified ones.

Well that sounds like hard work & i'm worried that nobody else have the same problem you have, considering there are some 2007 FD2's on here...covered many miles too!!

You can't use the FN2 UK civic 'bump stop mods' they just aint the same. Honda UK won't get involved in overseas warranty either..bad times...

interesting post thanks for the info.

Mine does it too but mine has AST suspension so not sure if its related. Is it a part that is replaced by aftermarket suspension? :dizzy:

I'm sure I read other people observing similar noises on here too.

Here is the link to the service bulletin from Honda 07-043
At the moment I am trying to find out if the bump stop on the FD2 is the same as
the American Civic Si....don't really see why it should be any different.
Have read several posts on the 8th Civic forum where this is quite a problem.
I onlly noticed the noise after having 4 tyres fitted, perhaps by letting the wheels/suspension hang
free on the 2 post lift has allowed the bump stop to move out of place, especially if they turned the steering
whilst the suspension was hanging free. I think its a case of taking the front legs off, stripping down and seeing
if there is anything wrong in there. As regards the AST suspension I am sure the top end of the strut utilises the same components, therefore you could end up with the same noise.
I'll post again when I get some more info.

http://angelo.mandato.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/a07-043.pdf

again thanks for the info. my knocking noise is getting worse so will have to get the AST's seen to.

No knocking on mine, just shedloads of creaking from the springs.

They'll probably need a service by the end of the year so will get it looked into then.

Tom reckons it is the top mount or something in that area that is knocking on mine. I will combine it with a service and geo. as my AST's have had a hard time lately..
If only I can get hold of Curtis..

At last found where my knocking noise was coming from, was driving me crazy.
2 bolts had come out of the front subframe, they were the ones half way between the front and the rear of the front subframe and bolted up onto the chassis rail. I have replaced the bolts and lock tighted them in. Its now as sweet as a nut. I will take a photo and post it so other members can check theirs.

Bring an old thread back to life. Think I need to look into this. As this started a day or so ago and getting louder quite quickly :???:

Overthemoon":25xjegbj said:
2 bolts had come out of the front subframe, they were the ones half way between the front and the rear of the front subframe and bolted up onto the chassis rail. I have replaced the bolts and lock tighted them in. Its now as sweet as a nut. I will take a photo and post it so other members can check theirs.

i had this problem with my car a few month ago. but i never lost the bolts. once i heard the noise. i jacked the my car up and tried tighting every nut i could see. and the subframe ones where a little slack. sorted now. i thought i was just mine.

Im guessing thats all my issue is.... The car will be going off to the garage the week after next and left for a few days. Let them fix this issue then give the car a huge service and let them go over everything.

Bizarre that these bolts are coming loose so early on in life - sounds like there may have been a manufacturing problem. Will check mine when I get mo - no noise at the moment though (touch wood)

Taffyteg":7hmi8jrc said:
Bizarre that these bolts are coming loose so early on in life - sounds like there may have been a manufacturing problem. Will check mine when I get mo - no noise at the moment though (touch wood)

I don't think is a manufacturing problem. maybe the incredible smooth UK roads, especially after winter, have to do with this.

Found the issue of my knocking sound and had it fixed :dance:

Was quite serious in the end. One top mount bolt had snapped and another bolt sheered off the result was the engine dropped a few inches and had a lot of play so the sound wasnt the subframe moving but the whole block shaking about.

Like I said though its all fixed now so no knocking noises yay

johnnysupra said:
Overthemoon said:

i had this problem with my car a few month ago. but i never lost the bolts. once i heard the noise. i jacked the my car up and tried tighting every nut i could see. and the subframe ones where a little slack. sorted now. i thought i was just mine.

It happened to my FD2 too recently. There was some squeaking noise from the front on driver side whenever the car pulls away. I first thouhgt it was the bushings. I sprayed some silicone lubricants to the bushings. It didnt stop the noise till I accidentally sprayed some on the bolt. The bolt was so loose that it could be rotated with bare hand. It is tightened now and the noise is gone.

Back